Marylyn Monroe's character wears all white in a sea of dark suits, therefore accenting her pure beauty, but also sets herself apart
behind character-creates halos and silhouettes
Cady's tattoos (makeup) help establish his character as a psychotic criminal and seeking justice. The set design of his prison cell shows us his beliefs/intelligence before we even see him (introducing a character through visual design)
Color is more expensive, more difficult to shoot than B&W. However, neither is "better," certain films are suited for one or the other (Singing in the rain was a spectacle and called for color. All about eve/Hud lent themselves to B&W, but were still realistic.)
fills in for the key light, generally 90 degrees from key-eliminates contrast and shadow
size in mm (8mm, 16mm, 35mm, 70m), higher gauge creates sharper image, picks up more light
thin sheets of gelatin, reduces amount of light, sometimes adds different colors/effects
functions of visual design
1 . Direct our attention to or away: lighting as molding objects and establishing depth.
2. Shaper of story's setting (spatial-temporal dimensions).
3. Mood and atmosphere.
mood --> the feeling conveyed (emotional) atmosphere --> physical sensations we experience (uptight, relaxed, tense, etc.); sensory
4. Delineation of character.
5. Projection of a state of soul/objective correlative.
6. Visual motif.
7. Enunciator of subject, theme, and conflict.
8. The costume/accessory and/or set/set dressing/prop as character and plot catalyst.
9. Color and the relationship of spectacle; the emotional resonance through metaphoric and symbolic associations.
10. Title design as anticipation of thematic values or in medias res.
color is used to create mood and atmosphere to give a specific emotional tone to the audience (change between present moment and interrogation flashbacks)
high key and fill light, most everything is illuminated in the frame,
main source of illumination in the shot
greater ratio between key (high) and fill (low) lights - creates shadows through high contrast
Light helps to explore the relationship between people and technology. it establishes the tension between transparancy and opacity...contrast on faces is from low-key lighting
objective/ visual correlatives
a symbolic article used to provide explicit, rather than implicit, access to such traditionally inexplicable concepts as emotion or color
(ex. cluttered room--> busy life)(ex. in hud when the longhorns die--> symbolic of hud's father being past his prime
Set design was extremely important. Many of the sets (blackie's club, the Burley house, city of SanFran) radiate a feeling of the lavish living of a wealthy family, contrasted with the aftermath of the quake.
Singing in the Rain (visual design)
Lena lamont's rediculous costumes/hair set her aside from the other characters.
make-up, mechanical, in camera, computer generated images (think of when special effects are done, pre-, during, or post production)
- Mechanical (done in front of camera)
- In-Camera/production (running a reel of a background behind actual filming)
- Post production/ computer generated images (can change time of day, create characters, fix shooting problems)
what type of film, sensitivity to light
includes key light, fill light and back light assembled in different arrangements to create different effects